Hear words of wisdom and lessons learned from leaders and experts around the world who are making this crucial shift.
Now's your chance—move your district to Science of Reading instruction and change lives forever. We'll show you how.
Real educators making the shift
Susan Lambert: How teachers can adopt the Science of Reading
Dr. LaTonya Goffney: Why leadership matters
Margaret Goldberg: How to take the first step
Dr. Todd Davis: Organizational change and collaboration
Karin Ryan: Preparing your district for the shift
What is the Science of Reading?
The Science of Reading refers to the pedagogy and practices proven by extensive research to effectively teach children how to read.
New to the Science of Reading? We’ve outlined everything you need to get acquainted with the movement in our blog series, “What is the Science of Reading Anyway?”
Science of Reading: Foundational Skills
At the heart of the Science of Reading is what experts call the Simple View of Reading, which describes the fundamental skills required in order to read with comprehension.
Why it matters
Here are three reasons why your district should make the shift to instruction based on the Science of Reading today.
You can give every student what they need.
Now, when more students than ever are at risk, the Science of Reading is ready with the explicit, systematic instruction they need.
You’ll change lives.
In the words of The Reading League, instruction based on the Science of Reading ”will elevate and transform every community, every nation, through the power of literacy.”
You’ll be able to guarantee success.
Research shows that by using instruction based on the Science of Reading, 95% of students—including those with dyslexia—can be taught to read at or approaching grade level.
Leading a Science of Reading adoption
How can you transform your district with Science of Reading instruction? Try this step-by-step process.
- Science of Reading—A Primer, Part 1: In this introduction to the Science of Reading, you’ll dive into the brain science of how kids learn to read, from the development of foundational skills to the importance of phonics and phonemic awareness.
- Science of Reading—A Primer, Part 2: Go further in your exploration of the Science of Reading and learn about the role of background knowledge in reading comprehension.
- Subscribe to Science of Reading: The Podcast, share episodes with your teachers, and start a discussion group.
- Launch a book study on Natalie Wexler’s The Knowledge Gap and use this discussion guide.
Start by building knowledge…
... on the ins and outs of the Science of Reading—a very Science of Reading way to begin! We've curated resources to help.
- Science of Reading — Surveying classroom instruction: What does a classroom look like when it's based on the Science of Reading? This ebook lists all the key components of effective Science of Reading instruction.
- 5 shifts for true Science of Reading instruction: A five-step implementation checklist to help your classroom adopt Science of Reading practices.
- The Reading League curriculum evaluation rubric: Distinguish between curriculum that is grounded in the Science of Reading and curriculum that is not.
- Follow our implementation roadmap: This resource walks you through the elements of a Science of Reading system and where to start based on where you are on your journey.
Focus on the real deal.
With this much on the line, focus on the real deal. But what are the signs of true Science of Reading instruction? Download these following tools to guide your evaluation.
- Talk through what high-quality Science of Reading-aligned instruction looks like in practice.
- Build a shared understanding of how to evaluate Science of Reading-aligned instructional materials.
- Know a stand-out colleague who exemplifies Science of Reading success? Nominate them for a Science of Reading Star Award!
Invest in your teachers.
Give them the same explicit, systematic instruction you want for your students with a program that's grounded in the Science of Reading.
Bringing the Science of Reading to middle school classrooms
Your middle schoolers need to build strong foundational skills and an academic knowledge base that will prepare them for success in high school and beyond. Find out how the Science of Reading can help.
Hear from the experts.
Listen to our curriculum experts describe how Science of Reading principles can help your middle schoolers this fall, while still keeping them on track with rigorous grade-level content.
Build your toolkit.
Download your checklist of seven middle school strategies backed by the Science of Reading.
Don’t go it alone!
Join our virtual summit for middle school leaders Thursday, October 7, to hear from experts, share your ideas, and network with other teachers using the Science of Reading in their classrooms.
Hear, watch, and read expert insights that will help you transform your district with the Science of Reading.
Celebrate Science of Reading superheroes in your district—nominate a colleague for a Science of Reading Star Award!